The Journeyers

The Journeyers
Karen, Beth, and Jerri

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Random Thoughts

September 16
These are just tidbits I either forgot to mention in a post or that are so general they didn't fit into a story.
Being Jenistas, we are keeping a cat tally. To date we've seen 16.  Although we haven't captured all of them on film--some of them just refuse to cooperate!--below are several we've met so far.  At the end of the trip, when I can collect all our photos together, we plan to post a Cats of the Camino gallery.

Motion-sensor lights in bathrooms are a bad idea--if you're a guy, it could get quite messy.

In France and Spain, shutters are functional.  They don't have screens, and they keep the windows open regardless of weather or temperature, at least since we've been here.  I don't care for the more modern garage-door style shutters.

I really enjoyed using my basic French while in France.  It was cool being understood in a foreign language; and mostly everyone is quick to offer you the correct word, help with pronunciation, and, in general, to understand and respond despite your mistakes.

The first American pilgrim I met, in the Pilgrim Office in St. Jean Pied-de-Port, was Leonard, also from Colorado.

We are also keeping track of the US states and countries people are from.

The day I “lost" Jerri and Beth, it rained so hard, coming at us sideways, that we ended up sopping wet.  My pants soaked my socks, which eventually water-logged the insides of my boots.  It was like I'd worn them in the shower again.  But newspaper stuffed inside to absorb the moisture really does work.

Age doesn't matter on the Camino.  There is a 78-year-old woman plugging along, and some young people--either ill-prepared, over-burdened, or over-confident and now injured in some way--struggling to keep going.

We haven't seen an open library yet.  And the towns and villages, and even Pamplona on a Saturday afternoon, have been practically deserted.  Where are all the people?


1 comment:

  1. LOVE all the kitties...are you sure there are not one or two tucked in Beth's backpack (replacing non-essential items in weight)?

    ReplyDelete