The Journeyers

The Journeyers
Karen, Beth, and Jerri

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Beauties and the Beast

September 17
I leave Obanos feeling rather like a nomad, or an exhibitionist.  My, um, “unmentionables" hang from my backpack because they failed to dry on the line in the albergue courtyard overnight.  However, it's quite a common sight on the Camino, and I'm much too busy concentrating on the path and my surroundings to be bothered by it for long.  In fact, after a while, I completely forget they're basking in the sun on my back.

We pass through the lovely old town of Puente La Reina. The Monumento al Peregrino (Pilgrim Monument) marks the point where the camino aragonés joins the camino francés.

The town has many of the narrow stone streets of the old (think in terms of centuries) cities. 

Beyond a tranquil, shady town plaza, we pass through an archway onto the Puente la Reina (Queen's Bridge) itself and cross the river Arga, which beautifully reflects the town.

After this lovely, gentle stretch comes a strenuous--brutal to some--ascent. Another enorme y mal (big and bad) part of the Camino, so marked in the guide book.


No comments:

Post a Comment