The Journeyers

The Journeyers
Karen, Beth, and Jerri

Sunday, October 7, 2012

What a Way to Start the Day

October 7
We breakfast at the Bar España, where we have arranged for the taxi to pick us up, since it is the only place within walking distance open this early on a Sunday.  Inside are two men, one somewhere in his twenties, I would guess.  The younger one is talking loudly, singing, and chatting up anyone who comes in.  We guess he's been partying all night, but when he approaches me, there is not a hint of alcohol on him.

He jabbers a lot in Spanish, even though I tell him I only understand a little.  Still, he establishes that Jerri and I are Americans, our names, and that we're doing the Camino.  He produces 50€, talks at me some more, and keeps kissing the bill and gesturing it flying away.  Somehow he gets me to understand that he's telling me his name and that he's paying for our breakfast.  When I ask him why, he says because he wants to.  I thank him but decide not to count it.  I'm not about to make the mistake of leaving without paying.  While we eat, he continues to goof around--trying some English (which his friend corrects), telling us he's going to be famous in American movies, pretending to be a matador and Jackie Chan.  He tells anyone who comes in that we are his amigas americanas.  Can you blame me for not quite believing his offer to pay?  Can you blame Jerri and me for hoping neither one of them is our taxi driver?

(Someone later tells us that the sisters do have a wake-up time, but they rouse you with Gregorian chants playing in the background.  They may have strict rules, but the sisters somehow manage to soften what they can.  Unfortunately, we are already gone by that time.  It would certainly have been a different start to our morning.)

Before we leave Bar España, the barkeep assures me that our breakfast has indeed been paid for.

No comments:

Post a Comment