The Journeyers

The Journeyers
Karen, Beth, and Jerri

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Blogging and Slogging

October 10
I'm having trouble with my Blogger app and have been funneling the past few posts through e-mail to Jim.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled, and am hopeful all is well now.

As I catch up on the backlog of posts, I note that we've walked 31.2 km today: Villar de Mazarife to Astorga.

The albergue kitchen continues to please.  Desayuno is buffet style and includes juices, the usual hot drink choices, toast with various marmalades, several types of cereal, freshly made churros, and fresh fruit.  We eat heartily and I take an apple to go.

Since it did rain during the night, I'm glad I brought my clothes in, even if it means drying them pinned to my pack while I hike.  I don't think twice about that anymore.


The first half of today's route is relatively easy and we keep up a good pace. At approximately the halfway point, we stop in this church in Villares de Órbigo for a quiet moment.

The quiet moment is apparently rewarded with grace, because it is, I believe, by God's grace that we persevere over kilometers of rolling boulders.   Although Paddington is reluctant, he bravely poses in this photo for perspective.

It sprinkles on and off throughout the day. Not enough to make the going tougher, but enough to keep the temperature cool.

We pass a pilgrim-made pilgrim.  As we are going by the shady little spot where he stands, a pilgrim adds a pair of sunglasses.

At this cross, we rest a few minutes before descending into Astorga.

We are weary but excited--we are less than 35 km from what could arguably be considered the highlight of the Camino:  the Cruz de Ferro, where you leave your rock.

But, truly, I'm trying not to get ahead of myself.  It's hard to do when you've arrived at the albergue for the day and are mapping out the next day, or planning how you'll make it to Santiago on the appointed day. When you're out there walking, though, there is only each step forward.  It's you and the given situation for the day, with whatever's in your head and heart, and you make the choice to put one foot in front of the other--over and over and over...

No comments:

Post a Comment