The Journeyers

The Journeyers
Karen, Beth, and Jerri

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Second Verse, Same as the First...

October 6
As part of preparing for the day, I check to see if any of my dressings need to be changed.  The left heel is doing something ugly--again, no details need be shared.  Even Jerri remarks on it; this worries me.  Still, it's time to lace on the boots and show up for the day as I promised Him.

Despite the beautiful sunrise as we set out...

...this morning is practically a repeat of yesterday:  a lot of flat, bleak landscape; a lot of ibuprofen; and a lot of decades.

It is noteworthy that we pass into a new state--crossing borders always feels like progress.

Today it occurs to me that, as long as I'm praying, I should ask Him what I'm supposed to do with my rock. Why will I be leaving it at the cross?  He has yet to whisper why I'm here.

Somewhere in the nothing we're trudging through, I mention that my left sock feels wet.  A check reveals that the left heel has indeed soaked through its patch of second skin and into the sock.  Like yesterday, we decide to look for a farmacia.

As we enter Boadilla del Camino, we spot a cyclist coming out of an open pair of doors like the one below. We've seen doors like these--usually just as weatherbeaten--all over the country, and have wondered what they lead into--a garage? small barn? storage?  So we decide to peek in.

Behind these particular doors is an oasis of serenity.  There is a lovely garden dotted with eclectic works of art.  We follow the path around to the shady outdoor café of a quaint albergue.  The hostelier is part of the charm.   He is playful, flirty, and welcoming.  And he speaks at least four languages.

The church just outside the oasis that is "En El Camino."  Note the shiny robo-man in the garden.  Not knowing I would not have another opportunity to do so, I miss taking more photos of this unique place.

While our lunch, including one of the best (biggest) cafe con leches...

...is being prepared, Jerri asks if there is a farmacia in town.  No.  The next town?  Yes, but it's probably not open since it's Saturday.  We consult the guide book.  The next place with a significant enough population to have an open pharmacy today is at the top of the next page.  We decide to leapfrog (advance along the Camino other than on foot).

Jerri's next conversation with our friendly hostelier involves transportation.  There is no bus service through Boadilla but, yes, he will call us a taxi.

He has some parting advice for me: “Little by little"--in Spanish, of course--before ushering us out the streetside entrance, to the cab that will take us to Carrión de los Condes.

Total distance walked: 19.2 km
Total distance rode: 26.5 km  :-(
 

1 comment:

  1. don't worry mama...at least you haven't been taking a ride each time you feel you can't do it...this time is just may have spared you a visit to a hospital. :)

    ReplyDelete