The Journeyers

The Journeyers
Karen, Beth, and Jerri

Monday, August 20, 2012

Training

July 4
First walk with training in mind, so I bump up from 5K to 5 miles.  Unfortunately, I do it in my brand-new boots and wind up with three serious blisters.

July 5
Although my feet hurt, I'm determined to walk 5 miles in the boots.  Start listening to Spanish language CDs while walking.

July 6
My plan is to walk every day, no matter how far, no matter how I feel, what the weather is, or anything else.  That's the way it will be when we're on the pilgrimage.  So, despite the pain of my blisters, I take a short walk and try to wear the boots around the house.

July 8
Bob (youngest son) suggests I start a blog about all this.  I had been wondering how to keep in touch and was leaning toward postcards.  Even though I'm technologically challenged, I'm perceptive enough to realize that a blog is more practical and will reach more people.  Something else I need to learn and practice.

July 10
After several days of easing off so my infected toe can heal, I'm able to get my running shoes on and go for a two-mile walk.

July 13
As my feet continue to heal from blisters and infection, I determine to walk between five and ten miles each day...in my running shoes for now so I don't aggravate what's healing.

July 22
First walk in boots since feet have healed, so I keep it short.

July 24
Since I don't have a backpack yet, I fill my small daypack with what comes to 8 pounds.  Time to acclimate my body to carrying extra weight.

July 25
Shins started to bother me last night, so I need to ease back for a couple of days on distance and ice them.

July 27 (Misadventure #3)
I'm ready to start trying out some of the gear I've bought.  Since it looks like rain, I decide to put my rain-resistant cargo pants, hat, and boots to the test.  I bring along my poncho to see how easy/fast it would be to get settled in it.  I also wear one of the new sports bras.

About two miles out, it starts to rain.  The wind has picked up and blows the poncho about as I try to get it on.  I have the sensation of dropping something; I look back and see a blue garage sale poster on the sidewalk.  The short storm does help me evaluate my gear.
     The wind keeps blowing the brim of the hat up and the velcro catches.  I have to keep releasing it.
     However, it keeps me dry, especially my glasses!
     The poncho is whipping around, up in my face, off my back.  (Later I discover loops to draw a
     string through to keep the sides together and down.  I choose two small carabiners for extra
     weight.)
     My boots are rain-resistant.
     When the sun comes out, everything quickly dries as advertised.
     The seamless bra and the cargo pants have absolutely no points of chafing.  Totally comfortable.

When the rain stops and everythng is dry, I start to take off the poncho.  Suddenly, my stomach churns--that sensation of dropping something flashes through my mind.  I check all my pockets and cannot find the poncho's pouch.  I backtrack, adding an hour and 2.5 more miles to my walk in my search for the pouch.  I keep telling myself it's only a silly mesh pouch, while berating myself for not stopping properly at the time.  Remembering how fierce the wind had been, I know that pouch has probably been blown far, far away.  Still, I tell myself, miracles happen.

The whole way home, I keep looking, even though I'm nowhere near where I think I lost the pouch.  At home, I see Jim and break into tears as I blurt out the story.  Then I tramp upstairs to change...and burst into tears again.  The pouch is on the bed, where I had placed it after I took the poncho out to put in my cargo pants pocket.  Miracles do happen.

July 28
The trial run of the sock liners.  My feet slide around inside my wool socks and I feel more friction than I'd ever felt in just the hiking socks.  But I will give them another try to make sure.

Start setting up blog with help from Bob and Jim (oldest son) by phone.  Choose the template and layout. Also download the mobile app for Blogger, which is what I will use overseas.

Tonight I will sleep in the sleeping bag liner on top of our bed to get a feel for it.

July 29
No problem with the bag liner.  I was a bit chilly, but that's because it's not meant to be warm.  If I understand correctly, the albergues have blankets, so I'm not worried.

Second walk with sock liners is no more comfortable.  The other two pairs are going back.  They will be the first thing I return that I do not plan on looking for a substitute for.  It has nothing to do with brand or store, I simply don't like feeling my feet sliding around inside the boots so much.

July 31
First walk with my new backpack, full of gear (14 pounds).  I decide to start gently--see, I did learn something from jumping into the deep end with my boots--and make it a short walk.  My back and shoulders bother me less than a normal 5-hour shift at work.  So far, so good.

August 2
Wear one of the safari shirts on my walk today.  It lives up to its promises of wicking and ventilating.  And no chafing from this garment, either.  I am well-pleased.

August 17
Work on blog some more, adding content and photos.  Play around with camera app on smart phone.

August 18
I walk today with full pack and wear my passport wallet under my shirt. Except for sometimes seeing it in my peripheral vision (it falls right below my waist), I don't even notice it's there.  I also try carrying my water bottle in my pants pocket--rather than in my hand--in anticipation of using my walking poles.

August 19
Besides intending to start using my poles, I also want to start walking with everything I will be taking with me--anything that will be on me, in my pockets, whatever.

Decide to load the passport wallet with everything that will be in there when I travel. It seems stuffed and I worry that, with it all in one unsealed pocket, things could fall out.  I dig out a larger one from an earlier trip abroad.  At first glance, it looks like more than I need; but when I put the necessities in, it's just right.  And pockets are zipped or clipped closed.  I feel more secure about this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment