The Journeyers

The Journeyers
Karen, Beth, and Jerri

Monday, August 20, 2012

These Boots Were Made for Walking

...Or Misadventure #2
July 2
I begin to research the Camino de Santiago--for now, anything about preparing for the trip, specifically what I would need to bring.  Many sites include packing lists, but almost all of them stress that the most important thing you bring is what you will wear on your feet.  I print out what I feel is the most comprehensive article on what to look for in a good pair of boots.  I also print out several packing lists and start a Camino folder.

July 4
We're going shopping for boots!

At the first sporting goods store, there are no full-grain leather boots.  However, I buy the suggested merino wool hiking socks to wear while trying on boots when we do find them.  Our next stop is REI, where we find an ample selection of the type of boots I'm looking for.  The salesman asked questions and I described what I would be doing.  He brought me three different pairs, which he then let me try on several times each, mix them to compare, and walk around the store.  When I finally chose a pair, I thanked the salesman for his patience.  He insisted that, with such a major investment in footwear, he wanted to make sure I found a pair of boots that I really wanted and suited my purpose.

July 5
Breaking in these boots is going to be a challenge.  They are honking heavy-duty boots.  As comfortable as they are, I can't imagine them soft, supple, shaped to my feet.  And I need to have them ready by early September.

July 7
My enthusiastic (stupid?) plan to break in the boots the hardcore way (regardless of what's happening to my feet) is backfiring.  One of my blisters has become infected.  Paid a visit to an urgent care clinic and have an antibiotic.  Now I can't even wear a regular pair of shoes, let alone the boots.  Thank goodness I have a pair of soft-sided shoes a size too large that I have procrastinated in bringing to Goodwill.  They are the only things I can stand to put on my feet right now.

July 14
I have spent the last several days experimenting with different Band-Aids and tapes.  I think I've come up with the combination/application that feels comfortable and will prevent further blisters.  My feet have recovered enough that today I wore the boots a few hours around the house.  Will continue to do that and slowly build up the length of time they are on my feet.

July 22
Have been wearing the boots to work and as long as possible around the house--they are feeling pretty comfortable.  So today I took my first walk since the infection--only 5K, but a start.

July 30
These boots are beginning to feel natural.  My feet feel nearly naked when I wear anything else!  Still, I'm concerned about the left boot: two of my toes still tingle, the way they do when I break in new running shoes before they loosen and conform to the bridge of my foot.  I'm getting nervous that they won't be ready in time.

I take a trip to REI for some advice.  A very helpful salesclerk asks if I'd gotten them wet yet.  I tell her that I'd walked in the rain once, but the boots are water resistant, as advertised.  No, she means really wet, like soaking them in a basin or wearing them in the shower.  Really?!  Absolutely.  She also invites me to drop the boots off over the weekend and she'll work leather oil into them and put them on their boot stretcher.

At home, I'm willing to try anything, so--yes--I took a shower with my boots on.  It took me several minutes to enter the shower with them on--so unnatural.

August 2
I wore those damp boots for two days.  I can actually feel more of my footprint in each sole, but the uppers are nearly as stiff as the day I bought them.  Jim kids me that I'll probably walk a whole Camino before I leave Colorado and maybe the boots will be broken in then.

I drop the boots off at REI for some tender loving boot care.  Back at home, I get curious as to how far I have actually walked.  Using my journal, I figure that I've walked slightly more than 150 miles (241 km) since I bought the boots.

August 4
REI calls--my boots are ready!  Boy, my feet have missed them.

Laura, the salesclerk who worked on my boots, has me try them on before I leave the store.  They are softer, a bit more supple.  More excellent customer service from REI.

August 20
To date, I've walked approximately 228 miles (367 km).  Although the boots get more and more comfortable, the boots don't look like they have that many miles on them.  The toes are a bit scuffed but that's from kneeling and sitting on the floor at work.  I suppose that if they are broken in on the inside, around my feet, they can look as new as they want on the outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment