The Journeyers

The Journeyers
Karen, Beth, and Jerri

Monday, August 27, 2012

Bits and Pieces

Over the weekend, Jim and I hit an REI garage sale (amazing events; we've become avid fans of them).  I found a pair of the convertible pants I currently have (and rave over) in a size smaller.  Since I lost weight training for the Camino, I bought them.  They fit better than the now-baggy 12s, but--yes, there's a but--what are clothes designers thinking?  Do the items we carry shrink proportionally to the size clothes we wear?  Of course not!  The same 20-oz. Gatorade bottle I've been carrying in my size-12 pants just squeaks into the pocket of size 10s.  I don't know about other folks who wear cargo pants, but I use them for the roomy pockets.  Size shouldn't matter.  I don't blame REI--this is a problem with pockets with all sorts of garments, no matter where they are sold.  Jim says it's a fashion thing.  I say cargo hiking pants are meant for functionality, not fashion.  Okay, getting off my soapbox now.

Also at the garage sale, Jim found a GPS "retracing" device.  It's meant to record your route so that, if you get lost, you can retrace your steps to get back on track.  He was also eager to try out his garage-sale hiking boots, safari shirt, and walking poles.  We didn't get the hang of the GPS; Jim will have to go online for the extended user's manual.  I'm not too worried about it (based on our past experiences, we have a whole future ahead of potential adventures in getting lost when we'll use it); I am worried, however, about getting my spare pair of rubber tips back.  Jim has been converted to walking with poles--he has gone with me on my 5-mile route, two days in a row (previously unheard of!).  I suspect I'll have to buy a new spare pair.

Training (started early July) update: As of this post, I have walked 277.7 miles.  A motivational benefit of increased exercise is that, with the calories My Fitness Pal rewards me for it, I can indulge guilt-free in such things as the most fabulous slice of Guinness chocolate cake I've ever tasted.  I would walk the approximately 8 miles it takes to earn enough calories for that cake anytime!

No comments:

Post a Comment