The Journeyers

The Journeyers
Karen, Beth, and Jerri

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Misadventure #1

The next several posts are retroactive, taken from the journal I began immediately, before I even had the notion to create a blog.

July 1
Jim finds me watching a movie in our room when he comes to inform me of Jerri's offer to join her and Beth on a six-week trip to Spain.  As usual, my mind issues objections--How can we afford it?  I don't have enough vacation hours to cover six weeks.  Etc.-- and I tell him that this is an important decision, that I need time to think about it.  But Jim's enthusiasm is overflowing.  He leaves me with a mental picture: "I can see you traveling around Spain, in some cafĂ© on the Camino Real, sipping coffee and reading a book."

Alone, it takes me about two minutes to listen to the quieter voice inside me that asks when such another unexpected and unique opportunity will arise.  When I go downstairs to tell Jim that there's no way I can't go, he relays the message from Jerri that we have to watch The Way, starring Martin Sheen.  The movie will give me some idea of what we'll be doing in Spain.

Ever since I made the decision, I feel a rightness about it.  In bed, my mind spinning with thoughts, I have the sudden knowledge that God has intervened in my life, making time for me to spend with Him.  I'm not sure why I'm supposed to go, what He has planned for me, but I'm as certain as I can ever be that He wants me to do this.

July 2
Hurray for Netflix!  The Way is available on demand.  After the movie, I just give Jim a look that says, "How much more wrong could you have gotten it?"  No spoilers from me.  It will suffice to note that he meant the Camino de Santiago, and Jerri, Beth, and I will be making a 500-mile (approx.) pilgrimage.

Still, I'm excited about the idea and determined to go.  However, I begin to suspect there is a lot more preparation for a pilgrimage than a touristy visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment